Once you complete your first race, that adrenaline kicks in and you feel like you can conquer anything once your feet pass that finish line. Then the goals change and that 5K becomes a 10K, half, or even a full marathon. Next thing you know, you’ve signed up for all the things!
Those races add up $ $ $, but I’d like to let you in on a little secret…
You don’t have to go broke trying to race!
Here are my tips for running on a budget in Knoxville:
- A one time use $20 coupon code that can be used in any race except the Knoxville Marathon, Pigeon Forge Race, and Whitestone.
- $5.00 discount on their entry fee to all KTC road races and a $10 discount to the Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon (CHKM).
- Don’t forget to carry your membership card with you because you’ll also get discounts at New Balance Knoxville, Eddie’s Health Shoppe, Runners Market, Julie Adams (Massage Therapist), This Little Scissor, Simple Bites Gourmet, Casual Pint Downtown, M6 Training, The Long Run, and KTC’s RunKNOX Program.
2. Volunteer at a Knoxville Track Club event
- Race Swag (*when
availabile: shirt, towels, cups, and/or other cool gear)
- Coupon codes
- Run in the race & Volunteer: $5 coupon
- Volunteer only: $10 coupon
- Community service hours
- Possible cash rewards for large groups/programs
- End of year swag & awards based on volunteer hours at the Holiday Party
- Earn points towards the Road/Trail Grand Prix
- In order to qualify for the Hal W. Canfield Award in the trail/road Grand Prix, an individual must be a current KTC member and volunteer at least three Knoxville Track Club events.
- Individuals must also place in any one of the overall or age divisions. The individual with the most points will receive the Hal W. Canfield Award.
- CHKM volunteers also have a Volunteer Appreciation Party with food and raffle prizes!
3. Join a team
- If you create/join a team of 4 or more people, you get an extra $5 discount along with your KTC $5 discount! That’s $10 back in your pocket (for select races)
4. Register for a series of races (road/trail)
- If you sign up for a trail/road/high mileage series, they offer you a package discount to save you extra money for the multiple events!
5. Register early!
- You can save yourself extra money just by registering during early bird pricing!
6. Train with a group
- There is a group run 7 days a week
- Trail and road options
- Early morning or evening
- High and low mileage
- Track, speed, hill training
- Check the schedule to find a group run near you!
7. Opt out of the race shirt
- If your dresser/closet is overflowing with race shirts, start opting out.
- Most races offer a $5 discount if you choose not to have a race shirt with your registration.